Friday, August 10, 2012

Crazy Week!

Hello, friends!  Let's start off with a forecast for SPIN YOUR WHEELS benefiting the Children's Center.  It's not too late to register! Just click here. It starts at 7am in Bethany and you can ride 12, 24, 46, 71, or 100 miles!  It's a ride not a race and it's for a great cause.  If you'd like to donate to the Children's Center click here.

The forecast couldn't be better considering it's August in Oklahoma!  We're looking at a relatively cool start, generally light winds, and lower relative humidities!

SPIN YOUR WHEELS FORECAST: SATURDAY, AUGUST 11

7AM: Much cooler! YAY! Mid-upper 60s, sunny skies, winds ESE 5 mph

8AM: Upper 60s/Low 70s, ESE 5-10 mph

9AM: Mid-70s, SE 10 mph

10AM: Low-80s, SE 10 mph

11AM: Mid-Upper 80s, SE 10 mph

Noon: Low 90s, SSE 10 mph

1PM: Mid-90's, S 10 mph

Donut Ride? More Like Speed Racer Ride

Last Sunday I joined a group ride that Astronaut John from ProBike frequents.  It starts at 8:30am at Stars and Stripes park and takes a random (seems like it to me!) route downtown to Starbucks.  A group of us did not go to Starbucks and continued on for a longer ride.

We went from downtown to the boathouse to Overholster to Hefner!  I had to push pretty hard at times to keep up with these guys.  I think we were going 18-20 mph on average...which is really fast for me!  We ended up doing 38 miles in a little over 2 hours!  I need to go on this ride again!  Granted, I did draft off of people which helped a lot.  However, the winds weren't terribly strong.

Tuesday BRICK

Tuesday I joined my cycle buddies April and Patrick for a 2 hour ride in Yukon to El Reno.  We met up around 6:30 in the morning and there were storms in the distance.  The sunrise with neighboring cumulonimbus clouds made for a gorgeous sky!  It's moments like this that I wonder how people could NOT believe in God.  It's just too beautiful!  As part of my training plan, April and I did a 25 minute easy run after the bike ride.

Wednesday SWIM - 2000 meters (1.2 miles) in the pool.

Thursday RUN, FOREST, RUN!

I have been filling in for the Chief all week and because of the Olympics, we have been going on an hour later at 11pm.  This usually wouldn't matter much since I'm a natural night owl but it's been kicking my butt with this training plan!  It's so hot out I have to get up early so I have been missing out on my sleep and I haven't handled sleep deprivation well since high school.  Despite the fact, my great training buddy and friend, Joleen Chaney and I met up at 5:30 in the morning to go for my longest run of the season so far.  Joleen is a natural runner so she helped me get through it.  I think we pace each other rather well.  Whenever I'm slacking she pushes me and vice versa.  That's why it's great to have a training buddy!  We ended up doing 9 miles together in 1 hour and 20 minutes or so and that includes a few stops for water!  We were going at a decent clip!  Then she had to leave so I did a slower loop to complete my 2 hour run scheduled on my training plan.

I have a big issue with knee pain.  This run I tried to have great running form by holding my stomach in to utilize my core and by standing up straight.  It must have worked because I only had a few moments after mile 9 where my knee hurt really bad.  I've found that running faster hurts less than running slower.  I guess that's good in terms of racing?!

And today I'm taking a rest day.  Due to the long run/lack of sleep yesterday, I treated myself to sleeping in.  And I've still got teenager Emily in me...I slept 14 hours!  And I feel great!  Also, my coach did not schedule rest days into my training plan but I am doing 71 miles tomorrow...so I'm taking it!

Have a great weekend everyone and I will let you know how 71 miles goes!  I've never cycled that far before! I hope my butt doesn't fall off!  After the long ride I have to do a public appearance! So when I look tired, you'll know why! I will be at Bob Moore in Edmond from 2-3 tomorrow afternoon if you want to say hi!  You can meet our Chopper pilot, Jon Welsh as well!


1 comment:

  1. I could never do a run, but a bicycling might be cool. I don't see how you all do that for such a long distance though. I wish I had that much stamina.

    ReplyDelete