Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New Milestone, Bike Name & Chitown TRI!

 
Hello, friends! I'm so happy we've finally been getting rain and below normal temps! Woo hoo!  About 2 weekends ago I reached a new milestone!
Ta-Da! 70 miles! That's the longest I've ever ridden! I did it at "Spin Your Wheels."  I would recommend this ride to any level of cyclist. 

Alright, we'll round it to 71.  Clearly Janna and I are making a 71.  Maybe we should freelance to Sesame Street?
It was one of the first cooler days of the summer with morning lows in the mid 60s!  We had light winds and sunny skies...a perfect day for a long bike ride!  The combination of the cooler weather and actually having 7 hours of sleep the night before made for a great ride. I felt amazing!

I rode with my cycle buddy, Patrick.  The ride left from the Children's Center in Bethany south to Mustang, west to Tuttle and back.  We rode without a pack (no drafting) for most of the ride which is good training since you are not allowed to draft in triathlons. 

I have a boo boo
Patrick and I decided to join a group of century riders (a pack for drafting) for the last 10-15 miles.  The person in front of me made a small but quick swirve and slowed down a tiny bit.  As a result, I swerved a bit and the cyclist behind me tapped my wheel causing a crash.  Patrick went down and the guy behind him flipped overhead.  It all happened so fast!  We were riding around 30 mph at the time. 

Patrick and the other cyclist came out bruised but not broken.  This is why a helmet is imperative!  Patrick hit his head but prevented any head trauma due to the helmet.  Apparently there had been several wrecks by experienced riders earlier in the day.  I felt horrible that I helped cause it but I guess it just happens.  Patrick wasn't seriously hurt but he did have a HUGE bruise and large scrapes to his leg, arm and nose.  He was a trooper until the end!  I did have to help coach him through a bit.  If the roles were reversed I would be crying and likely on an ambulance so kudos to Patrick!

Meet My New Pal!

This 70 mile ride bonded me with my new tri bike (loaned generously by Pro Bike Inc.)  I have now named him CLARK KENT after Superman!

See the resemblance?!  I think my tri bike's aerobars are like Superman's flying position.  So hopefully this bike will be my super hero in my next triathlon.

Largest Triathlon on the Planet

I signed up for the Chicago Triathlon in January to inspire me to keep training.  Obviously I did not need much inspiration...I am indeed addicted to the culture.  At the time I did not realize that I signed up for the LARGEST triathlon in the country!

Actually, the main inspiration for the Chicago triathlon is to race at home and show my family my new passion.  I have been so blessed to have parents that support me no matter what.  They supported me through my hard training for my first half Ironman last year...but I still think they don't get it.  After my duathlon this year my dad said, "so, you're really into this?!" Yes, Dad.  I don't think they will quite get it until they SEE it and feel the energy of a triathlon.  Even if you're like my mom and NEVER work out...I suggest you attend a race.  You will be surprised to see all the different types of people participating in triathlon and hopefully it will inspire you.  I'm telling you, I competed with a 70 year old gray haired lady last summer at a sprint tri.  It's inspirational!  I hope to be like that one day!

Here is the schedule:
Sunday,  August, 2012
  4:15 AM  Transition area opens (my friends & family can't comprehend this time)
  5:45 AM Transition  area closes
  6:00 AM  Race begins
  9:00 AM-­‐3:00 PM Post-­‐race celebration, finish  area; Columbus and Balbo

Swim: The swim seems pretty straight forward.  All the other tri's I have participated in were in a pyramid. This is more of a straight shot.  This IS Lake Michigan but at least it is in a harbor so hopefully we will not encounter choppy water.

Bike: I think the bike will be fun.  I get to bike along Lake Shore Drive! Hopefully Oprah will be watching. I'll make sure to wave at her.
"Hi, Emily! I love your bike!"

Run: The run takes us past the Field Museum (full of dinosaur bones...you should check it out!) and Soldier field.  DA BEARS! 

The Forecast:

I totally trust my man, Tom Skilling.  I mean, I own his snuggy after all! For those of you not familiar, Tom Skilling in Chicago is equivalent to Gary England in Oklahoma.  He has nearly 10 minute weathercasts...that are more like dissertations.  The man is a genius!

Anyway, after a bit of forecasting I looked at what he has going for Sunday and I will have a cool start in the upper 60s with winds out of the south around 10-20 mph.  Unfortunately, it may be a bit breezy.  I'm not too worried because I have my sweet aerodynamic bike AND I've been training in Oklahoma which is WAY windier than Chicago!  By the time I'm running it will likely be in the low to mid-70s and muggy.  Hopefully it will not rain because I have not trained in the rain.  I trust God to help me through this!

I am so excited to race in Chicago, my hometown.  I just wish I had the Oklahoma kindness and support to cheer me on!  My friend, Lacey, from OKC will have to represent the Sooner state!  Please send a prayer up Saturday night/early Sunday!  I'll let you know how it goes!
Have a great rest of your week friends and I will let you know how it goes!
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  




1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you killed it in the swim part that you said on twitter takes place in about 30 mins from now and naturally the rest of the competition!! Rootin for ya!! c-:

    Yep, cant wait to hear how it goes!!

    Twilightseven

    ReplyDelete