Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fundraiser, More Like Awesome-ness RAISER!

Hello, friends!  First off, I just want to say THANK YOU so much to all of you that made it out to the fundraiser last Thursday!  We certainly put the "fun" in fundraiser!
This is the first of a few fundraisers for "Team Jo&Em."  I've never thrown a huge fundraiser before...so I had no idea what to expect.  It took a lot more prep time and effort than expected.

I went to the dollar store to get donation buckets, raffle tickets, and poster supplies.  I also spent one whole afternoon visiting local businesses, whore-ing out the fundraiser as much as I could (hey, it's for a good cause!).  Thankfully, many businesses responded by donating gift certificates for the raffle...including Mama Rojas, Panera Bread Co., Red Carpet Car Wash, Massage Envy, & BJ's Brewhouse.  Thank you so much!

Like I mentioned earlier, I've never done this before so I had no idea what to charge in terms of donations...so I just guessed!  I had a sign saying "No Cover, Suggested Donation $10" at the door and sold raffle tickets for $2 and 3 for $5.  We also sold "Triathlete" drinks and shots in which a portion of the proceeds went directly to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  I don't know what was in them, but they were bright green, fruity, and delicious.


I had no idea how many people would show up and how giving people would be.  Right off the bat, the "regulars" at friends pitched in with donations at the front door.   I think we made $200 in the first 15 minutes!  Thank goodness for my parents at the front door handling the donations and raffle ticket sales.
 Joleen served as a guest bartender at "Friends" while I joined the band to sing for most of the night!  The picture above features the head musician, Brent Saulsbury, with "Team Jo&Em."  I sang along with Brent's band and the bar's house band, "The Clique."  Everyone did a fabulous job!  I would have taken pictures with the whole band...but I swear, I was running around like a crazy woman all night!  Between performing, raffling items, and mingling with viewers and friends...I was about to pass out by the end of the night!  It was like doing a half ironman!  ...Or not!  I had a blast though!
A big thanks to Mike Scandy (on the left) and Friend's owner (right) for letting us host this event!  Mike's father died from Leukemia so this cause is near and dear to his heart.
 I was really surprised by the turnout!  As predicted, there were 2 waves of people.  First, the ones who have to get up early for work...and second, the night owls that work late and stay out late!  The OCCC Triathlon Club came out to the event (above)!  I love these guys!  The triathlon community is so friendly.  I am so blessed to have so many great friends and co-workers!  Thank you again for the support!!!

So here is how it all went down.  The band started playing around 8:30 that evening and I decided to jump up and join them around 9.  I may not remember the exact set list, but we started out with my classic, "Black Velvet," by Alanna Miles.
2. "Don't Stop Believing" - Journey
3. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - Pat Benetar
4.  "Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor
5.  "Before He Cheats" - Carrie Underwood
6.  "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
 Then I took a break, had a drink to calm the nerves, and chatted briefly with friends!  They did a great job getting donations from the crowd!  The above features some of my Chi Omega sisters!
 I even had a few friends from Norman drop by!   And of course, familiar faces from NewsChannel 4!  (Sorry they look like zombies...the camera on my phone sometimes does that when it's dark!)                    
So after a brief break and a few raffles, I jumped back on stage for a long set!  These songs may be out of order but I'll try my best to remember.
1. "When the Lights Go Down in the City" -Journey
2. "Last Name" - Carrie Underwood
3. "Need You Now" - Lady Antebellum
4. "At Last" - Etta James
5. "Bad Romance" - Lady Gaga
6.  "Beat It" - Michael Jackson
7.  "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson (Unexpected, fibbed the words!)
8.  "Some Kind of Wonderful" Grand Funk Railroad
9.  "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor
10.  "Ice Ice Baby/Under Pressure" - Vanilla Ice  (So apparently I do NOT know the words!)
11.  "Hotel California" Eagles
12.  "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele (again!)

At this point, my voice nearly quit.  I don't sing regularly anymore so I was putting it to the test!  In order to appease my friends, I sang one last song - "Black Velvet" before the band took over to close out the night.  By 1am, the band quit playing and people slowly started leaving.  I was exhausted and ready to go home!  My mom loves counting money so I let her take care of the tally.  The grand total? (Drum Roll).........................$1,316.50!
Hooray!  So it was a long, challenging night...but it was all worth it to see $1300 go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!  Since I planned and executed this whole fundraiser, Joleen is in charge of the next one.  We will announce it soon...all I can say is that it involves WATERMELONS!
Thank you for all of your donations so far!  Please donate to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society...my goal is $5,000 and every dollar counts! Just click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment