"Team Jo&Em." I've never thrown a huge fundraiser before...so I had no idea what to expect. It took a lot more prep time and effort than expected.
I went to the dollar store to get donation buckets, raffle tickets, and poster supplies. I also spent one whole afternoon visiting local businesses, whore-ing out the fundraiser as much as I could (hey, it's for a good cause!). Thankfully, many businesses responded by donating gift certificates for the raffle...including Mama Rojas, Panera Bread Co., Red Carpet Car Wash, Massage Envy, & BJ's Brewhouse. Thank you so much!
Like I mentioned earlier, I've never done this before so I had no idea what to charge in terms of donations...so I just guessed! I had a sign saying "No Cover, Suggested Donation $10" at the door and sold raffle tickets for $2 and 3 for $5. We also sold "Triathlete" drinks and shots in which a portion of the proceeds went directly to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I don't know what was in them, but they were bright green, fruity, and delicious.
I had no idea how many people would show up and how giving people would be. Right off the bat, the "regulars" at friends pitched in with donations at the front door. I think we made $200 in the first 15 minutes! Thank goodness for my parents at the front door handling the donations and raffle ticket sales.
OCCC Triathlon Club came out to the event (above)! I love these guys! The triathlon community is so friendly. I am so blessed to have so many great friends and co-workers! Thank you again for the support!!!
2. "Don't Stop Believing" - Journey
3. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - Pat Benetar
4. "Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor
5. "Before He Cheats" - Carrie Underwood
6. "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
Chi Omega sisters!
NewsChannel 4! (Sorry they look like zombies...the camera on my phone sometimes does that when it's dark!)
So after a brief break and a few raffles, I jumped back on stage for a long set! These songs may be out of order but I'll try my best to remember.
1. "When the Lights Go Down in the City" -Journey
2. "Last Name" - Carrie Underwood
3. "Need You Now" - Lady Antebellum
4. "At Last" - Etta James
5. "Bad Romance" - Lady Gaga
6. "Beat It" - Michael Jackson
7. "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson (Unexpected, fibbed the words!)
8. "Some Kind of Wonderful" Grand Funk Railroad
9. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor
10. "Ice Ice Baby/Under Pressure" - Vanilla Ice (So apparently I do NOT know the words!)
11. "Hotel California" Eagles
12. "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele (again!)
At this point, my voice nearly quit. I don't sing regularly anymore so I was putting it to the test! In order to appease my friends, I sang one last song - "Black Velvet" before the band took over to close out the night. By 1am, the band quit playing and people slowly started leaving. I was exhausted and ready to go home! My mom loves counting money so I let her take care of the tally. The grand total? (Drum Roll).........................$1,316.50!
Hooray! So it was a long, challenging night...but it was all worth it to see $1300 go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! Since I planned and executed this whole fundraiser, Joleen is in charge of the next one. We will announce it soon...all I can say is that it involves WATERMELONS!